- Have a beige cover. Copies with bright yellow or pink covers are fakes.
- Have a flat spine. Copies with a stapled spine (i.e. like a magazine or pamphlet) are fakes.
- Have the author and name of the book on the flat spine. Fakes typically have a blank spine.
- Have sharp, in-focus illustrations. Fakes usually have darker or blurrier photos.
- Have staples going entirely through the book’s inner pages near the spine (but not through the spine). These can be seen by opening the front or back cover and looking on the inside edge.